Norton Seal A neighborhood underwater due to a flash flood
Inland Flood Coverage

Inland Flood Coverage for Flash Floods

Unexpected flooding can occur to anyone, anytime — whether you live in or near a flood-prone area or not. The good news is that our optional Inland Flood coverage* can help you proactively prepare for the unexpected, such as a flash floods. Let’s take a look at how it works.

Why Do You Need Inland Flood Coverage?

When you consider the fact that flooding events are on the rise due to an increase in severe storms and heavy rains, having flash flood coverage is a smart move for financial protection and peace of mind.


Homeowners insurance policies do not typically cover floods.1

logo, company name

A single inch of water can cause up to $25,000 in property damage.2

logo, icon

Floods are the most common and costly disasters in the US.2

What Is Inland Flood Coverage?

Inland Flood coverage provides protection for homeowners and renters who may not be in a high-risk flood zone but who could experience flash floods or other unexpected sudden flooding. Having this coverage helps you financially prepare to recover and repair your home from expensive water damage due to flooding from these types of events.

Types of Events Inland Flood Insurance Covers

While your policy will explain all covered events, Inland Flood insurance may help cover events like:


When inland waters, such as streams or rivers, overflow and partially or completely inundate normally dry land.


Unusual, rapid rain accumulation runoff or snowmelt that doesn’t drain away or soak into the ground.


When water carries mud and becomes a mudflow.

Benefits of Inland Flood Coverage

  •  Less out of your own pocket. Did you know just one inch of water can cause $25,000 worth of damage to a home?2 Repairs and replacement costs would normally come out of your own pocket. This coverage helps you better manage unplanned-for expenses associated with a flood.
  •  Comprehensive, flexible coverage. Since a standard homeowners policy doesn’t cover floods, adding flash flood coverage is one more way to add a wider breadth of protection to your home. Plus, coverage limits range from $10,000 to $100,000, so you have the flexibility to choose an amount that matches your specific needs.**
  •  Peace of mind. Floods are the most frequently occurring natural disaster in the U.S.2 When you add this coverage, you’ll gain peace of mind knowing you’ve proactively prepared for unexpected water damage expenses that can occur from a flood.

Additional Protection Provided

Here’s a quick breakdown (subject to your policy limits**) of how adding flash flood coverage to your main home policy may help better protect your home:

  • Covers damage to your primary residence and other structures on your property, like a shed or detached garage
  • Covers damage that occurs to your personal property, including in a basement or sunken room (sub-limits may apply)
  • Covers personal property you moved to another location for safety after the flood occurred (within the first 30 days)
  • Covers temporary living expenses if your home becomes uninhabitable due to damage from a flood (sub-limits may apply)
  • Covers the cost to remove debris

Inland Flood Coverage FAQs

  1. Having Inland Flood insurance* is one more way you can prepare for the unexpected. Flash flooding can happen even if you aren’t located near a river, lake or ocean. In fact, a high percentage of flooding in the United States occurs in areas that aren’t near bodies of water. As a homeowner, it’s a good idea to have flood insurance to protect your home, even if you don’t live in a flood zone.

  2. Not necessarily. There must be a federal disaster declaration where the property is located and then you must apply for assistance. If granted, disaster assistance doesn’t typically cover all the damage. And in most cases, the assistance is a loan that needs to be paid back in full.

  3. No, Inland Flood coverage does not meet the minimum requirements for mandated flood coverage from your lender. Your agent is the perfect resource to help you find the appropriate coverage that meets the requirement.

  4. Homeowner policyholders can select from limits of $25,000, $50,000 and $100,000. If you have a renters or condo policy, your limit options are $10,000 and $25,000. Limit availability may vary based on your location.

  5. The coverage limit is the total amount we would pay for a loss, whether the damage was to your dwelling or personal property. This limit also covers costs for things like additional living expenses while your home is being repaired or rebuilt, as well as the costs for debris removal and moving personal property to safety.

    For example: Say you choose a $100,000 limit. You experience a flash flood that causes $75,000 in dwelling damage, $10,000 in damage to other structures and $30,000 in damage to your personal belongings. In addition, you incur $5,000 in debris removal costs and $10,000 in additional living expenses (like hotel and food costs). The grand total is $130,000 in losses; the most we will pay is your coverage limit of $100,000.

Ready to Protect Your Home Against Flash Floods?

At American Family, we’re dedicated to helping you plan for the unexpected. We’re always working on improving our coverage options so you can build a customized policy that best protects your home. Prepare for the unexpected by connecting with your agent and adding Inland Flood coverage today.

*Coverage provided by adding the Inland Flood optional endorsement. This endorsement does not satisfy mandatory flood insurance coverage should it be required by your federally regulated lender for your home mortgage or loan. This insurance product is not affiliated with the National Flood Insurance program (NFIP).

**Some coverages or limits may not be available in your state. Refer to your policy documents for coverage limit details. Coverage applies after the property deductible has been met. Please speak with your agent to learn more about your coverage options.

1Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA),

2Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA),

Please check with your agent and read the policy and endorsements for exact details on coverages and exclusions.

Inland Flood coverage not available for manufactured homes.