Norton Seal Senior Living Insurance

Get a home insurance quote

Get a Quote
Senior Living Insurance

Insurance for Seniors in Assisted Living Facilities and Nursing Homes

When a loved one moves into an assisted living facility, you want to make sure their personal belongings are protected from the unexpected. By adding nursing home and assisted living facility personal property and liability coverage to your homeowners policy, you can help ensure their peace of mind.

Adding Nursing Home and Assisted Living Insurance to Your Homeowners Policy

If the nursing home or assisted living facility where your loved one lives is located within the American Family Insurance operating territory, you can add this coverage to your homeowners policy.

A person is eligible for coverage if they are relatives of the homeowners policyholder, the spouse of the policyholder, the registered domestic partner of the policyholder in Nevada, Oregon or Washington or in a registered civil union with the policyholder in Colorado or Illinois. Other individuals can be eligible for coverage if the holder of the homeowners policy has legal proof of power of attorney or guardianship of that individual.

Add this coverage and feel assured that your loved one has just the right amount of personal property and liability protection.

What If My Loved One Has Personal Property in a Senior Living Facility?

Any personal property owned or in the care of your loved one is covered by this additional coverage up to the limits you’ve selected. The coverage is valid while the insured resides in the assisted living or nursing facility, whether their residence is temporary or permanent.

Coverage limits are available from $6,000 - $15,000 and carry a deductible of $500.

For example: Your grandmother is listed on your home insurance policy’s nursing/assisted living facility personal property and liability endorsement. The facility she lives in experiences a fire and her dresser, clothing and personal items are damaged or destroyed. With this coverage, she shouldn’t worry — and neither should you — because those personal items are covered.

What About Personal Liability Coverage?

Like the liability coverage provided by your homeowners policy, your relatives are covered if they’re found liable for accidental injuries to others or damages to others property. However, any injuries to personnel of the nursing home or assisted living facility are not covered by this additional coverage.

How Is This Different Than Long-term Care (LTC) Insurance?

Coverage for your loved one with this type of endorsement is added to an existing homeowners policy. One of the differences between long-term care vs. assisted living insurance is that long term care does not require an active homeowners policy. It can be purchased independently.

Exactly what is long-term care insurance? In short, it’s coverage that helps to cover the expenses that seniors require to manage their day-to-day lives. It helps pay for services like in-home care that help with bathing, dressing and eating.

Do I Need Additional Renters Insurance for My Loved One?

Nursing and assisted living coverage isn’t meant to cover more than $15,000 worth of personal property — and for those who need coverage that exceeds that value, we recommend talking with your agent about a renters policy for your loved one.

Your family deserves the best care and insurance coverage for themselves and their belongings. Talk with your American Family Insurance agent to make sure your relative’s living facility can be covered by your homeowners policy.

This coverage is not available in MN at this time.

Some coverages may not be available in your state or on your specific policy form. Please speak with your agent to learn more about your coverage options.