Everything you need to know about insurance basics, like coverage types, limits, cost and more.
DriveMyWay Safe Driving Program DriveMyWay is currently available in Utah. It will be available in all states by the end of the year.
Get your personalized rate based on your safe driving behaviors!
When it comes to your car insurance, you should be behind the wheel. Now you can be with DriveMyWay, a program that personalizes your auto insurance rate based on how you drive. The safer you drive, the more you can save!
DriveMyWay is a usage-based insurance program that gives you up to a 10% introductory discount on your car insurance just for enrolling.* Then, based on your safe driving habits, you could earn even greater personalized savings, applied at your next policy renewal. In fact, most customers actively enrolled in the program will save between 5% and 20%!*
DriveMyWay is currently only available for American Family Insurance customers in Utah. If you are in another state, you can enroll in our KnowYourDrive® program to save up to 20% based on your safe driving skills!**
With DriveMyWay, you’re in charge of what you pay for auto insurance. Plus, with the free smartphone app, you can see exactly how your safe driving behaviors are contributing to your DriveMyWay score — and your DriveMyWay savings!
- Get a personalized car insurance rate based on your actual safe driving behaviors. Pay how you drive and get the savings you deserve.
- Review your driving history and check your DriveMyWay score at any time via the free smartphone app.
- Get insights on your own driving habits and helpful tips to improve your driving — and potentially earn even greater savings.
- Take up to 100 days to decide if the DriveMyWay program is right for you — all while enjoying up to a 10% introductory discount!*
- Most drivers actively participating in the program will save between 5% and 20% on their car insurance.* Higher-risk drivers may see their rate increase.
Imagine if you could have more control over what you pay for auto insurance.
With DriveMyWay from American Family Insurance, you can.
DriveMyWay is a usage-based insurance program that personalizes your auto insurance rate based on your safe driving behaviors.
In other words, you pay how you drive. The safer you drive, the more you can save — between 5% and 20%!
When you enroll in DriveMyWay, you’ll automatically receive an introductory discount on your auto premium — up to 10%. You can maximize your savings when all drivers on your policy participate.
Once you’re enrolled, download the free smartphone app.
The app tracks your driving habits, such as how frequently your vehicle slows or stops abruptly, how much time you spend driving over the speed limit, and if you engage in phone use, such as texting while driving.
That information helps us determine your personalized insurance rate. Most customers actively enrolled in the program will save between 5% and 20%, although higher-risk drivers may see their rate increase.
Your DriveMyWay score will be front and center each time you launch the app. The higher your score, the bigger your savings!
The app also gives you a closer look at your driving behaviors, along with personalized recommendations to increase your savings!
You’ll have a full 100 days to try out DriveMyWay. Before the trial period ends, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between three participation options.
Keep the app for the opportunity to improve your personalized rate at your next renewal — plus enjoy a 5% ongoing participation savings as long as you continue participating in the program.
After the 100-day trial period, if you choose to stop participating in the program, your most recent driving score will still be used to calculate your personalized rate, but you won’t need to continue using the app.
If you decide DriveMyWay isn’t for you, simply contact your American Family agent to unenroll before the 100-day trial period ends. Your score will not be used to calculate your personalized rate.
Ready to pay based on how you drive and take more control over what you pay for car insurance?
Contact your American Family Insurance agent to enroll in DriveMyWay today!
How Does the 100-day DriveMyWay Trial Period Work?
You will have a full 100 days to try out the program. On day 90, you’ll receive an email with how your safe driving score is trending — the higher your score, the more you could save at your next renewal!
Before your trial period ends, you’ll need to choose which program participation option is best for you:
Like your score or want to improve your score?
Keep the app for the opportunity to improve your personalized rate at your next renewal — plus enjoy a 5% ongoing participation savings at your next renewal for your continued enrollment in DriveMyWay.*
Like your score and want to lock it in?
After the 100-day trial period, let your agent know you’d like to lock in your program score and no longer participate in the program. You’ll still enjoy a personalized rate based on your DriveMyWay score but won’t receive the 5% participation savings.
Decide the program isn’t right for you?
If you’ve decided DriveMyWay isn’t for you, contact your agent to unenroll before the 100-day trial period ends. This will result in the DriveMyWay score not being used to calculate your auto insurance rate.* Please note, unenrollment will remove any introductory or participation discounts from your policy.
How Does DriveMyWay Work?
1. Enroll in DriveMyWay
Sign up for DriveMyWay when you quote and buy insurance online, or contact your local agent to enroll in the program.
2. Download the smartphone app
After enrolling in DriveMyWay, download and register the free smartphone app.
3. Practice safe driving behaviors
Start driving — and showing off your safe driving skills! Remember, all drivers on your policy can participate in DriveMyWay to help maximize your savings.
4. Check your progress
You can check your progress anytime in the smartphone app. The app also provides tips and feedback to help you drive even safer.
5. Try the program for 100 days
You’ll have a 100-day trial period to decide if the DriveMyWay program is right for you. See your trial period options.
6. Enjoy your personalized rate!
Most customers actively enrolled in the program will save between 5% and 20%!* Higher-risk drivers may see their rate increase.
Explore the Smartphone App
With the DriveMyWay program, your savings are always right at your fingertips! Take a quick tour of the app to see how it puts you in charge of your auto insurance.
Score High, Save Big
In the app, your DriveMyWay score will be front and center so you will always know how you are driving — and how you are saving! The higher your score, the more you can save via your personalized DriveMyWay rate.*
On this screen, you can also see the other drivers on your policy who contribute toward your policy savings.
Insights on Your Driving
The app includes interactive maps that break down how often you engage in high-risk driving behavior on each trip.
Whether it’s a quick trip across town or a cross-country road trip, you can easily see where you made safe driving choices — and where you have the opportunity to improve both your driving habits and your potential savings.
Avoid Phone Use While Driving
The app tracks your safe driving behaviors over time — such as avoiding using your phone while behind the wheel!
What counts as phone use?
- Picking up your phone when the screen is unlocked
- Touching the screen, including swiping and typing
- Making a call while holding your phone (go hands-free instead!)
- A passenger using your phone (since the app can’t tell who is using the phone)
To participate in DriveMyWay, you must install the smartphone app on your smartphone.
Most smartphones with an iOS (Apple) or Android operating system should work. If you can’t update the phone to the most current version of the operating system, it may not be compatible with the app. Your phone must also have the right sensors, which may include a gyroscope and accelerometer.
On average, the app uses only a small amount of data each month, so it doesn’t impact most data plans.
The app collects data needed to measure your driving behaviors during a trip, including:
- Driving distance
- Instances of hard braking
- Smartphone settings and status
- Time of day you’re driving
- Your interactions with the app’s screens and information
- Your speed
- Active phone use while the vehicle is moving; examples include using GPS, minimizing screens, texting and making a handheld call
The app does not collect information about which apps you use or the content of any messages or calls.
The DriveMyWay program gives you more control over how much you pay for car insurance because you pay how you drive and can earn a personalized rate based on your safe driving habits.
- Enroll today and enjoy up to a 10% introductory discount on your car insurance.*
- Show off your safe driving skills and you could earn even greater personalized savings, applied at your next policy renewal.
- Most customers actively enrolled in the program will save between 5% and 20%!*
Please note that higher-risk drivers may see their rate increase. In addition, other factors — like inflation or changes in state regulations — may also affect your rate, causing it to go up or down. Your American Family agent can provide more information about your specific policy and rate.
The smartphone app collects and analyzes your driving data and then provides an overall driving score from 0 - 100. This score can affect what you pay for auto insurance. For each driving behavior below, the app provides a specific subscore.
- Phone use: measures when a person is actively using their phone while the vehicle is moving; examples include using GPS, minimizing screens, texting and making a handheld call
- Hard braking: measures when the vehicle stops abruptly or slows down by 7 mph or more in one second
- Speeding: measures when a person is driving 10 mph or more above the posted speed limit
Certain variables, such as those listed below, are also used to score your driving behaviors. Research shows these factors can increase your risk of having an accident. By adjusting your driving behaviors based on the feedback you receive from the app, you can improve your safe driving habits — and increase your savings!
Key driving variables
- Hours driven: measures the amount of time the vehicle is driven
- Evening driving: measures the total driving time between 6 PM - midnight
- Late-night driving: measures the total driving time between midnight - 4 AM
- Number of short trips: measures the number of trips that are less than 5 minutes in duration (a higher number of short trips is typically better because it indicates you often travel to familiar areas)
Phone use includes:
- Making a call while holding your phone
- A passenger using your phone (the app can’t tell who is using the phone)
- Picking up your phone when the screen is unlocked
- Touching the screen, including swiping and typing
Phone use does not include:
- Charging your phone or having an audio cable plugged in
- Listening to music or podcasts
- Using voice commands to send a text, make a call or use a navigation app
- Stopping your car, then taking a call while holding your phone
- Using your vehicle’s touchscreen
What if the smartphone app records you as the driver when you were actually the passenger? No problem! You can change the vehicle or driver assignment for any trip made within the last five days without impacting your score. Just follow these steps:
- Open the app and tap the Trips icon at the bottom of the screen. Then, tap the trip you’d like to change.
- Next, tap the Driver, Passenger or Not a Car icon in the top right of the screen.
- Then, choose the correct driver, passenger assignment or mode of transportation.
Yes! If you decide the DriveMyWay program isn’t for you, contact your American Family agent to unenroll.
If you unenroll all participating drivers before your 100-day trial period ends, the DriveMyWay score will not be used to calculate your auto insurance rate. Unenrolling will remove any introductory discounts from your policy.
If you unenroll drivers after the trial period ends, we’ll still use their driving behavior when calculating your auto insurance rate at your next renewal. Unenrolling all drivers will immediately remove any introductory and/or participatory program discounts from your policy.
If you didn’t mean to opt out, contact your American Family agent for help re-enrolling.
Ready to start paying based on how you drive with the DriveMyWay program? Start your auto insurance quote or contact an American Family Insurance agent to enroll now.
*Rate will vary based on driving behavior. Unsafe driving behaviors may increase your rate. Product eligibility will vary by state, vehicle type, policy form and company underwriting the auto policy. Some restrictions may apply. The DriveMyWay rate factor applies only to these coverages, which are typical for most auto policies: bodily injury liability, property damage liability, collision and comprehensive, medical expense, and personal injury protection. Additionally, the rate factor does not apply to fixed fees that are part of the policy. To refresh your understanding of coverages, visit the Car Insurance Coverage page. Customer driving behaviors from the KnowYourDrive program were used to inform rate structure. Adding or removing drivers from a policy may impact the overall score. Households where not all eligible participants on the policy are enrolled will receive a 5% introductory discount. The DriveMyWay program is only available in Utah. If you unenroll drivers after the 100-day trial period ends, we’ll still use their driving behavior at the time of unenrollment when calculating your rate.
**Discounts will vary based on driving behavior. The KnowYourDrive discount applies only to these coverages, which are typical for most auto policies: bodily injury liability, property damage liability, collision and comprehensive, medical expense, underinsured and uninsured and personal injury of your policy. To refresh your understanding of coverages, visit the Car Insurance Coverage page. Additionally, the discount does not apply to fixed fees that are part of your policy. The KnowYourDrive program is not available in Utah. Travel Peace of Mind package not included with KnowYourDrive in Washington state.