Everything you need to know about insurance basics, like coverage types, limits, cost and more.
Before you set sail for an adventure on the water, you’ll want to make sure you’re properly protecting your vessel from the unexpected. Take a look at our sailboat coverages.
What You Need to Know About Insuring Your Sailboat
Be sure to have your boat’s documents in hand when you request sailboat insurance rates from your agent. To get the ball rolling on building a policy for you, your agent will need some information from you. Here’s what your agent needs to get you sailboat insurance costs:
- The hull ID
- The year, make and model of the boat
- The length of the boat
- Primary construction material: fiberglass, aluminum or wood
- Propulsion type: inboard, outboard or both
How Much Does Sailboat Insurance Cost?
American Family Insurance offers coverage for all types of sailboats. If you use your Sunfish twice a summer or if you’re out on the ocean every weekend with your 50-foot Catalina, we’ll build a policy that fits you stern to bow. How much does sailboat insurance cost? Like auto insurance, we’ll take a number of different factors into account when we build a policy. And each of those pieces of information will impact the insurance cost for your sailboat:
- Your sailboat must be seaworthy
- The value of your sailboat
- Any additional work or customizations you’ve made
- Your credit rating
Additional Sailboat Insurance Coverage
From dinghies to catamarans, day sailors to cruising sailboats, we insure all types of sailboats. Apart from your standard coverage options, you may want to upgrade and customize your policy to better protect your prized possession. Here are some coverages you’ll want to consider adding on to your current sailboat insurance policy:
Repair cost coverage
This coverage will help ensure your sailboat will be repaired without depreciation. So, we’ll pay what it costs to return your vessel or its parts, like sails, masts and rigging, to pre-accident condition or better.
You’ll need to have this coverage if you want to know exactly what you’ll be paid in the event of a total loss of your sailboat. You’ll send proof of the current market value of your boat, and if you face a total loss, we’ll pay that amount.
Towing and recovery
Imagine you’re on the water with no wind and your outboard motor gives out. You could be stranded for a while and might need a tow to get back to shore. No worries — this Emergency Roadside and on-water service is included with your physical damage portion of your policy.*
- Costs to change or repair a flat or damaged tire on the boat trailer
- Mechanical labor or other service up to one hour at the place of the breakdown
- Towing by an authorized business to the nearest garage, marina, service station or other service point where necessary repairs can be made
- Delivery of gas, oil or loaned battery
Sailboat Insurance Limitations and Restrictions
Be sure to check in with your agent to see about building a policy for your sailboat. Though we insure all kinds of sailboats, there are limits to the coverage we offer. We’re typically not able to write policies for:
- Sailboats over 54 feet in length
- Sailboats valued at more than $250,000
- Sailboats used as a primary residence
Connect with your American Family Insurance agent to get the best coverage for all your water adventures and sail on with confidence!
* You’ll be responsible for purchase of parts, materials, gasoline, oil.